The Threshing Barn is probably the most impressive of the 20 buildings at Chester Farm.
A five bay barn built of stone with 17th century roof timbers and a Welsh slate roof, although originally the roof would have been thatched. It has a wide single cart entrance on the south side and a small door onto the north side. Another doorway leads into the smaller adjacent Barn (which has a date stone of 1690) which it predates, but doubtful whether it is earlier than 1600.
The two central trusses have tie-beams and queen struts whilst the end trusses have collars and simple arch bracing. The variation in truss design is to allow the sheaves of wheat to be stacked higher.
The building shows three different types of ventilation slits: triangular, longitudinal and a four-light square form with crude stone mullions and transoms. These would have functioned as owl holes, allowing access to owls who provided an excellent service keeping vermin from the stored grain.
Staples can be seen in the beams. These could have been used for hanging carcasses when the barn was used as a slaughter house. The floor (see picture) is cobbled.
The importance of this barn is that it has been so little changed and we intend to keep it that way with absolutely minimal intervention. Simplicity will be our watchword with the look and feel of the walls and windows being retained. After restoration, the amazing soaring space of the threshing barn will be used for community and educational uses and it has the potential to be a very atmospheric event space.